for more information.
Family Caregiver Support - Caregiver Resources
Caregiving can be both rewarding and challenging. We have put together an assortment of resources to help you. For questions about these, or other caregiving concerns or supports, please contact the Family Caregiver Support Program at SMAA.
Caregiver Self Care
• Caregiver Bill of Rights
• Self-Nurturing Activities
Resources for Planning Ahead
**NEW ** • Plan Your Lifespan - an interactive website to help plan for health events such as hospitalizations, falls, and memory loss that may happen as people get older. It provides an easy-to-use tool that you can fill in with your plans, make updates as needed, and share with family and friends.
• Beginning Planning Worksheets
• Guidebook for the Caregiving Journey - an older adult/caregiver
workbook for gathering information, identifying resources,comparing
living alternatives, and compiling legal and financial information.
(Generously shared by MaineHealth's Partnership for Health Aging.)
• Helpful Resources for Health Care Decisions and Planning
• Maine Healthcare Advance Directives Forms
• The Day After Guide - a guide to assist those you leave behind after your
death with the process of dealing with your financial affairs, courtesy of
Smilie Gregg Rogers, Esq., Law Office of Smilie G. Rogers, PLLC.
• Maine Long-Term Care Programs
Understanding Living Options
• Communities for Older Adults
• Comparing Costs of Living Options
• Comparing Priorities for Living Options
Living at Home
• Evaluating Non-Medical Home Care Checklist
• Evaluating Home Safety Checklist
• Hiring an In-home Care Company
• Hiring Help Privately
• Hiring Home Care Privately Checklist
• Living Together Checklist - For Caregiver / For Older Adult
• How do I get Home Care Services in Southern Maine?
Adult Day Programs
• What are Adult Day Programs?
• Evaluating Adult Day Programs Checklist
• Evaluating Assisted Living Checklist
• Evaluating Nursing Facilities Checklist
Assisting a Person with Dementia
• Caring for a Person with Alzheimer's Disease - a comprehensive guide
that offers easy-to-understand information and advice for family
caregivers of people with progressive dementia. A publication of the
National Institutesof Health and National Institute on Aging.
• Coach Broyle's Playbook for Alzheimer's Caregivers - a practical guide for
families caring for someone with dementia. This is not medical advice, but
helpful tips from someone who has been through the journey of
Alzheimer's caregiving and shares his personal expertise in a unique
format. With thanks to the Broyles family for their generosity in sharing
• Family Caregiver Guide - a comprehensive overview of dementia written
by the New York City Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association.
• Handing Holidays and Visits: Ideas for People with Family Members
Who Have Dementia
• Ten Real Life Strategies for Dementia Caregiving - courtesy of the Family
• Traveling with a Person with Dementia
• What to Do When the Diagnosis is Dementia
Useful Tools and Information
• Connections for Family Caregivers in Maine
• Driving: Internet Tools
• Emergency Response Systems
• Family Caregiver Alliance Fact Sheets and Publications
• File of Life
• Handbook for Long Distance Caregivers - a publication of the Family
• Helpful Caregiver Websites
• HIPAA: Questions and Answers for Family Caregivers - a publication of the
United Hospital Fund
• Older Adult Resource (OAR) Toolkit
• Online Tools for Caregivers - create a password protected site to share
information with family and friends.
• Starting the Long Term Care Insurance Search - a guide to help you
choose a policy, courtesy of Kerry Peabody, CSA, CLTC, Clark Insurance
• Understanding Your Long Term Care Policy - a guide to help interpret
your policy, from The Eldercare Team
• What to Do When Your Spouse Dies
• Your Discharge Planning Checklist - a publication of the Centers for
Medicare and Medicaid Services
Caregiving in the Media
• Caring for the Caregiver - an Emmy nominated documentary highlighting
the difficulties of caring for loved ones with dementia and Alzheimer's
disease. Website also contains links to resources. Courtesy of MPBN.
• The Challenge of Our Age - section of this special series focused on