for more information.
Advance Health Care Planning
Have you planned for your future health care in the same way you planned your retirement? If not, take action to ease the health care decisions your loved ones may one day face about you. Respecting Choices® advance health care planning is the best gift you can give your loved ones.
Southern Maine Agency on Aging has partnered with Maine Health and Gundersen Health System to offer advance health care planning using the Respecting Choices® model. Respecting Choices® offers overview seminars to help you prepare your own advance health care directive as well as one-on-one counseling sessions with you and your loved ones to create a personal document which clearly outlines your wishes for your health care treatment.
"One of the greatest misconceptions about advance care planning (ACP) is that it is a static process, a one-time event. Attempting to plan for all possibilities in a single document or at a single time is both impossible and unnecessary."
Advance health care planning is a process of communication that helps individuals:
• Understand their choices for future healthcare
• Reflect on personal goals, values, religious, or cultural beliefs
• Talk to physicians, healthcare agents, and other loved ones as needed
Our advance health care planning facilitators are certified through Gundersen Health System and will help you learn:
• How to discuss your end-of-life wishes with your family.
• What medical measures you want taken.
• Who will decide your care if you can't?
• To explore end-of-life options and decide what's best for your loved ones.
• How to connect with resources to help you make informed decisions.
• With whom to share your completed advance health care plan.
You may register for an upcoming Advance Health Care Planning seminar through the Events Calendar. Individual appointments are available by calling 396-6546.